Pet Relocation Tips, Advice & Checklist
Are you relocating to Singapore with your beloved furry friends? Pets add a lot of joy to any household and we understand that you want them to join you on your move.
However, moving with pets can be tricky – especially if this is your first time relocating internationally with them. That’s why we’ve put together this comprehensive guide packed with tips, advice and a checklist to help make the process as smooth as possible for both you and your pets!
Preparing for the move
Before moving, it’s important to do some preparation work to ensure a smooth transition for both you and your pets. Here’s a checklist of everything you need to do before the big move:
- Contact the Singapore Embassy or Consulate in your current country for information on importing pets into Singapore. They will be able to provide you with a list of required documents, which may include a rabies vaccination certificate and health certificate.
- Get copies of all your pet’s vaccination records and medical history. Make sure your pet is up-to-date on all their vaccinations and has a clean bill of health from their veterinarian
- Book appointments with a veterinarian in Singapore to get any required vaccinations or treatments prior to arrival
- Arrange for transportation of your pet either through cargo or as carry-on luggage (depending on the size of your animal). Plan to fly with your pet in the cabin of the plane whenever possible – this is much safer and stress-free for them than travelling in the cargo hold. If you must transport them in the hold, be sure to choose a pet-friendly airline that allows animals to travel in pressurized cabins.
- Purchase a suitable pet crate or carrier for the transport. If traveling by car, be sure to secure your pet safely in the backseat or in a pet carrier. Make sure they have plenty of water and snacks to keep them comfortable on the journey. If travelling by air, purchase a sturdy crate or carrier that meets IATA requirements
- Label all belongings with your contact information so they don’t get lost during transit
- Make sure you have an adequate supply of your pet food, water and medication for the trip. Pack plenty of their favourite food and toys to help make the transition smoother
You’ll want to begin planning well in advance of your move – at least four to six weeks is ideal. This will give you plenty of time to gather all the required documents and make any necessary arrangements.
Tips For Cat & Dog Relocation
Now that we’ve covered the basics, let’s take a closer look at relocating your pets – specifically cats and dogs in particular.
Make certain to set aside some time to meet with your veterinarian and go over your travel plans with them. This is especially crucial if your pet is on medication and will require doctor’s visits in his or her new country of residence. Many airlines will want documentation from your veterinarian showing that your pet is healthy and has had all of the necessary vaccinations before traveling or immigrating to another country.
Give yourself enough time to ensure that you have all of your paperwork in order. In the case of an emergency, it’s a good idea to keep your vet’s contact information on hand as well.
– Cats are generally quite adaptable creatures and will likely settle into their new surroundings fairly quickly. However, to minimize any stress during the move, it’s important to keep them in their familiar environment as much as possible – especially if they’re travelling in cargo.
– Make sure you have plenty of their favourite foods and toys to help make the transition smoother.
– When travelling by air, your cat must be placed in an approved IATA pet carrier. The carrier must be big enough for the animal to stand up, turn around and lie down comfortably.
If you need help in finding the best cat products, read some reviews or online buying guides for feline products.
– Like cats, dogs are also quite adaptable but will likely experience some stress during the move.
– To help ease their transition, try to keep your dog in his or her familiar environment as much as possible and pack a few of their favourite toys and treats.
– Make sure you have an adequate supply of food and water for the trip. Depending on the size of your dog, he or she may need to be brought onboard the plane with you – in which case they will need to be placed in an approved IATA pet carrier.
– Like cats, dogs must be placed in an approved IATA pet carrier when travelling by air.
– If your dog is a larger breed, you may need to purchase a heavy-duty large dog crate that meets airline requirements.
Tips For Selecting The Right Crate For The International Transport
When travelling by air with a pet, it’s important to check the requirements of the airline your pet is travelling with. Airlines can vary in their requirements of crates and carriers and therefore it is essential you check beforehand.
The crate you buy also needs to meet International Air Transport Association IATA requirements. The following are some tips on how to choose the right carrier or crate for your pet:
– Make sure the carrier is big enough for the animal to stand up, turn around and lie down comfortably
– The carrier should be made of sturdy materials like a heavy-duty steel crate with adequate ventilation
– Make sure you purchase a crate that is escape-proof
– The carrier must also be labelled with your contact information in case it gets lost during transit.
– The crate should be easy to clean and have a non-slip surface
– If your pet is travelling in cargo, the carrier must be able to withstand extreme temperatures
Tips for Dealing with Pet Anxiety during the transport process
The most important thing is you remain calm and patient throughout the process. Pets can sense their owner’s emotions, so if you’re stressed out, they will be too. Dealing with pet anxiety during transport can be difficult, but there are a few things you can do to help:
– Make sure your pet has his or her favourite toy or blanket with them during the trip. This will provide some comfort and familiarity, as well as help to reduce their anxiety throughout the trip.
– Talk to your veterinarian about prescribing anti-anxiety supplements or calming treats, if necessary. However, do not tranquilize your pet; most airlines have restrictions against it and will not allow your pet to travel in this condition.
– Make sure they’ve had a chance to walk about and urinate before putting them in their crate. This will make your furry ones feel more tired, which should make it easier for them to sleep. Make sure your pets have enough food and water available at all times throughout their trip.
– Plan plenty of stops along the way so your pet can get out and stretch its legs. This will also help ease any anxiety they may be feeling.
For more tips about dealing with pet anxiety and crate training, read “How To Train Dogs to Love Their Crates and Deal with Separation Anxiety” article at queenofreviews.com
The Final Countdown
With all the preparations in place, it’s time to start counting down to your big move! There are a few last things you need to know and do:
– Notify your pet mover of your travel arrangements
– Book appointments with a local veterinarian in Singapore
– Arrange for someone to take care of your pet while you’re settling into your new home
-When you arrive in Singapore, customs will need to inspect your pet. Be prepared for delays as this process can take some time. Have all your paperwork ready to present to the customs officer and make sure your pet is wearing their identification tag (including their name, your contact information and country of origin) and is wearing it at all times during transit. Also, pack a copy of their vaccination record and any other important paperwork in your carry-on bag.
-Once you’ve arrived in Singapore, there are a few things you’ll need to do in order to get your pet registered with the local authorities. This can be done at any of the following locations: Animal & Plant Quarantine Station, AVA or NEA. The following is a list of required documents:
– Proof of rabies vaccination
– Copy of your pet’s medical records
– Proof of ownership (e.g. registration papers, microchip documentation)
– A recent photo of your pet
The Singaporean authorities also require that all dogs be muzzled when out in public. There are a few exceptions to this rule, such as guide dogs or service animals, but for the most part, it is mandatory for all dog owners in Singapore to muzzle their pets when outside the home. For more information on the rules and regulations on bringing pets into Singapore, please the online guide at https://www.nparks.gov.sg/avs/pets/bringing-animals-into-singapore-and-exporting/bringing-in-and-transshipping-dogs-and-cats/preparing-to-bring-dogs-and-cats-into-singapore
The Animal & Veterinary Service (AVS) is a cluster within the National Parks Board (NParks). Formed on 1 April 2019, it is the main touch-point on animal and veterinary matters in Singapore and the First Responder for all animal-related feedback. Ministry of National Development website.
When you engage an experienced pet importer, you can rest assured knowing that all the details have been taken care of – from paperwork and permits to ensuring your pet’s safety during transit.
To start, it’s important to engage a reputable pet mover to assist with your move. Not only will they know the best way to safely transport your pets, but they can also help you prepare all the necessary paperwork and ensure that everything goes as smoothly as possible on moving day.
The Importance of Engaging a Reliable Pet Movers
When you engage the services of a reputable pet mover, you can rest assured knowing that all the details have been taken care of – from paperwork and permits to ensuring your pet’s safety during transit.
Reliable pet movers know what needs to be done to get your pets safely from point A to point B. They have extensive knowledge about international quarantine laws and how to navigate through airports with animals. Furthermore, reputable pet moving companies have staff that are trained in animal handling and first aid, so you can rest assured that your pet is in safe hands. So before making any decisions about relocating overseas, be sure to contact a pet moving company for advice and pricing information.
Types of services offered by most international pet movers:
- Consultation & Coordination services
- Animal Quarantine Reservation
- Application of Permits
- Custom Clearance
- AVS Clearance
- Airline Clearance in Singapore
- Pet Boarding
Tips for Selecting the Best Pet Relocation Company
When researching international pet movers, it’s important to consider the following:
– The company’s experience in relocating pets internationally
– Their accreditation by the International Pet and Animal Transportation Association (IPATA) or other relevant governing body
– How they will handle your pet during transit – especially if they are travelling on a plane
– What kind of insurance is provided as part of their service
Relocating with pets can be stressful for both you and your furry friends. With a bit of preparation and organisation, and by following these tips and preparing adequately beforehand, you can help make the transport process as smooth as possible for both you and your furry friend.
We hope this guide has been helpful and that you and your pets have a safe and smooth relocation experience. If you have any questions or need more assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact the experts at Pet Export Singapore for help in relocating your pets. They will be happy to help!
Differences Between A Freight Forwarder and A Shipping Agent
Both freight forwarder and shipping agent deal with logistics in companies. However, the roles of a freight forwarder vary from those of a shipping agent.
How to differentiate a forwarding agent from a shipping services provider
If you are a forwarding expert, you will be handling some of the tasks meant for a shipping expert as should offer assistance in the transportation of cargo. However, you will find that the main difference between a shipping services provider and a forwarding agent is:
Types of services offered
Many people confuse the services offered by sea freight forwarders with those functions accomplished by the shipping-agent. But in an ideal situation, sea freight will perform and provide services over and above the shipping-agent’s services. One of the essential functions of a freight-forwarder is to oversee the entire cargo movement from the shipping service provider like LCL & FCL shipping provide up to the importer’s doorstep. On the other hand, the shipping-agent gets involved during cargo consolidation, and finally, he will be available during the deconsolidation process. Freight forwarder such as LCL & FCL shipping are heavily involved in cargo transportation services, while shipping-agents only specialize in one mode of transport to move your cargo from one point to the next. The duties of a forwarding agent include overseeing the success of the entire shipping process unlike for the shipping services provider whose roles and responsibilities are limited to their scope which includes cargo consolidation.
Mode of transport
You will find shipping experts specialize in one mode of transport while a forwarding agent can provide a wide range of transportation services. You will find that you will have more benefits when dealing with a forwarding agent as there is access to many freight shipping vehicles and storage facilities as compared to the shipping experts.
Freight-forwarders use their network within their service providers’ domain to provide all the necessary services that facilitate transportation of goods from one point to another. They are known to offer export and import services through sub-contracting other related companies. As a result, they create firm business ties with companies that own trucks, custom brokers, warehousing, and other necessities that shippers might require. This mode makes the processes, especially when working freight-forwarders, since much of the time is secured, which would track down valuable primary services from several clients. On the other hand, shipping-agents cannot offer the mentioned value-added services. Their crucial role gets primarily channelled to the relocation of containers in a ship. They may sometimes track cargo from one point to another, moving cargo from port to its desired destination. They do not offer services like documentation and customs clearance.
Ownership of vessels
Air Freight do not possess the ownership of vessels used for shipping or carriers. They operate by space sub-leasing for cargo carriage in a ship or containers. This process indicates that freight-forwarders work as an intermediary amongst professional shipping lines and business owners. Air freight may merge several shipments belonging to different clients into one container to reduce the shipping cost and other shipping services. Freight-forwarders that use air transport are also known to adopt the same model. Some of the significant forwarding organizations help their customers document the cargo requirements and the air freight customs clearance.When it comes to shipping-agents, they are known to own transportation modes, including trucks or ships. They transport cargo that gets consolidated to the destination where another organization picks it.
Freight forwarding companies are known to have a set-aside place for cargo and goods consolidation. This location is sometimes known as Container Freight Station meant for container loading or unloading. Sometimes, it might be utilized in the import items preparation via ship to distribute and store export goods originating from different companies in one particular container. Shipping-agents typically lack a place designated like LCL & FCL shipping because they do not adopt the above model.
A shipping agency symbolizes the ship-owners in a given port of a particular country. It is responsible for managing costs, marketing, and operations within its domain of operational concepts. On the other hand, a shipping agency does not represent the cargo owners and its customers. A sea freight forwarding company collaborates with shippers and cargo owners to get the ideal service and excellent price and shipping service of any given cargo worldwide.
A freight-forwarder takes the initiative to contact key airlines, truckers not forgetting the cargo brokers, and consolidate a freight package. Sometimes, the shipping-agent and freight forwarder functions may converge and become similar to some extent based on a particular market.
They should know which organization or individual is responsible for transport mode, monitoring the shipping process and schedules, clearing process, and the complete documentation for either an exporter or importer. One needs to confirm that the shipments are compliant and seamless to their destination in an ideal condition. The entire process involves space for transportation, paperwork organization, and gathering together with the final delivery arrangement. Both shipping agent and freight forwarder should aid the exporters and exporters with routing and modes of transportation that are intelligent, cost-friendly, economical, and meet the set time frame for delivery.
A well-established freight-forwarder has experience in all transportation modes, cost-effective shipping solutions, storage arrangements, freight negotiation rates, cargo booking in the shipping line, shipping document processing, and border cargo movement knowledge. On the other hand, the shipping agent should be fully accredited, pass relevant documents, and assist the customer with drawbacks. When it comes to comparing a shipping agent and a freight-forwarder, the shipping-agent is more specific to its country, simply because they have connections with l customs authorities. Freight-forwarders have an excellent presence globally since it gets represented in several companies.
If you have been looking for a company that can provide you with quality freight forwarding and shipping services, Star Concord Freight & Shipping agent offers you a unique experience while meeting your needs.
What Is A Freight Forwarder
Individuals and other business premises organize their goods shipments through an organization by the name freight-forwarder. In some instances, a freight forward plays a freight carrier, or else they might opt to look for another option, for example, a third-party carrier. Freight-forwarders act as the medium between the carriers and the people who are shipping the goods. They can provide specific insights and assist the customers throughout the process, eliminating any issues that may arise from logistics. Freight-forwarders sometimes have additional offers to the customers, including paperwork assistance, packing, insurance coverage, and other services like custom clearing for shipping, especially in cross-border shipping.
What Is A Shipping Agent
An organization or an individual that takes the role of transporting and handling goods is known as the shipping-agent. It also takes the responsibility of defending the best interest of the customers. During the customer’s shipment process, the agent takes the responsibility of overseeing several critical tasks, including crew transfers, clearing customs, cargo transportation dispatch, and waste declarations. In other words, every freight-forwarder is a shipping-agent simply because they offer support services that complement cargo transportation from point to point. However, not all shipping-agents freight-forwarders since they vary in the operational concepts, especially when supervising the transportation process from point-to-point. On top of that, freight-forwarders are more prominent in size and have greater resource access than individual ordinarily shipping-agents.
Both freight forwarder and shipping agent deal with logistics in companies. However, the roles of a freight forwarder vary from those of a shipping agent. One of the best ways of differentiating a freight forwarder and a shipping agent is by defining the roles and responsibilities of each one of them.
Roles and responsibilities of a freight forwarding services provider
A freight forwarder Singapore agent mainly acts as the link between transport service providers and the owner of goods to be shipped. If you are a forwarding agent, your duties will vary based on the logistics company you work for. Below are the main functions of freight forwarding services providers.
- Providing documentation and clearance services
A forwarding expert has to prepare all the required documentation for the exportation and importation of goods. They make sure that the owner of goods being transported has complied with the legal requirements.
- Organizing for distribution, packaging, and warehousing of cargo
The forwarding agent is in charge of goods storage before they are exported or imported. With the best forwarding expert, you will be provided with the best cargo storage services before or after arrival while awaiting clearance.
- Booking cargo freight space
One of the most significant roles of a forwarding agent is to ensure clients get cargo space mainly on airplanes or other modes of transport. You will find that forwarders focus on networking with transport service providers mainly air freight and sea freight to enable clients to import and export goods effectively.
- Providing advisory services
Forwarding agents will provide you with information about the most reliable means of shipping your goods. Clients get assisted by forwarding experts to get affordable carriage by negotiating the costs involved in shipping cargo.
Roles and responsibilities of a shipping services provider
The main duties of a shipping expert include:
- A shipping services provider works in the best interest of the customers by handling and organizing the transportation of cargo.
- A shipping assistant recommends to clients the best means of transport mainly air and sea for cargo shipments. Based on the type and condition of goods you want to be shipped, you will need the help of a shipping services provider.
- Tracking cargo movement
A shipping expert is in charge of monitoring the movement of cargo as they update the goods’ owners. Being a shipping services provider requires you to be well versed with the right routes and directions that different means of transport should take when delivering goods to customers.
- Ensuring safe arrival of shipments
A shipping services provider closely follows up shipping matters until the cargo is safely delivered to the right clients. You should be provided with an invoice for your cargo upon arrival by a shipping expert.
Types of freight services
This is a category of freight shipping where goods are transported using ships and ferries. If you are on a tight budget, then this is the most affordable means of transporting cargo internationally. However, your cargo might take time to get to the destination as sea freight is slow. The LCL & FCL shipping comes into play.
You will find ocean freight shipments known as LCL consolidation services whereby cargo owners have to share with others the available container space. On the other hand, FCL shipping applies to the type of shipping where all goods loaded in a container belonging to one person. You can choose either LCL & FCL shipping based on the category of cargo you want to ship. A forwarding agent would be the right person to give more information about LCL & FCL shipping.
This is the transportation of cargo using aircraft. It is the fastest way to transport goods thus being effective for those who want their cargo to reach their destination on time. However, air freight shipping is quite costly.
Rail freight service
This type of freight service is used to transport bulky and dangerous materials. You will find this means of cargo transportation mode to be very pocket-friendly and efficient.
Types of shipping services
The shipping service providers offer different services to meet their customers’ needs. These are two main categories of shipping services which include:
- Linear service
This applies to the types of ships that use only specified routes and schedules. It is a cost-effective way to transport small volumes of goods.
- Tramp service
These are the types of ships used to transport large volumes of goods. It has no fixed schedule or regular routes.
Frequently asked questions
Question: What makes a good forwarding agent or a shipping expert?
Answer: You check the level of proficiency they have in their field and willingness to meet your needs.
Question: Which is the easiest way to differentiate between a forwarding agent and a shipping services provider?
Answer: You check the transport services they provide. A forwarding agent provides one mode of transportation while with shipping experts you will get intermodal transport means.
Question: How can I find more customers for my freight forwarding and shipping company?
Answer: Ask your loyal customers to refer other potential clients to your company. If you have a good reputation, you will get many new customers through recommendations.